Books Recommended by Bill & Kristi Gaultiere
Sometimes a book opens our heart to heaven. Other times it offers us new, God-inspired paradigms for life and ministry with Jesus. Here are some books that we hope will do both for you!
These books are part of our Soul Shepherding Institute, which includes the option of completing Spiritual Direction Training and Certification. In 2013 we launched this retreat-based program in “Spiritual Formation and Soul Care Ministry” to nourish and train pastors, spiritual directors, and other men and women in ministry for living and ministering as apprentices of Jesus. Our Institute is a two-year process of attending retreats in community, study, practicing spiritual disciplines, and being personally cared for and mentored by Bill and Kristi. (To learn more visit “Institute: Spiritual Formation and Soul Care Retreats.”)
To earn a “Spiritual Direction Ministry” certificate from Soul Shepherding, Inc. one of the requirements is to read 12 books from our Reading List. The online classes that are part of this program will include readings from a number of books on the list, especially the ones under “Spiritual Direction Training”. We also have a second reading list of the Classics of Devotion to Christ which are found in “Reading Classic Devotional Books.” Students write a short Reflection Paper on each book and turn these into Soul Shepherding staff. (See our sample TLC Reading Log, “Aelred of Rievaulx: Spiritual Friendship.”)
Spiritual Formation in Christ (Week 1)
- Lord, Make my Life a Miracle by Ray Ortlund, Sr., © 1974, 154 pages. (See also “Ray Ortlund, Sr.” archives by Bill Gaultiere.)
- The Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster, © 1978, 184 pages.
- The Way of the Heart by Henri Nouwen, © 1981, 96 pages.
- A Stranger to Self-Hatred: A Glimpse of Jesus by Brennan Manning, © 1982, 127 pages. (See also “Brennan Manning” archives by Bill Gaultiere.)
- The Spirit of the Disciplines: Understanding How God Changes Lives by Dallas Willard, © 1988, 276 pages.
- Abba’s Child: The Cry of the Heart for Intimate Belonging by Brennan Manning, © 1994, 188 pages. (See also “Brennan Manning” archives by Bill Gaultiere.)
- The Divine Conspiracy: Rediscovering Our Hidden Life in God by Dallas Willard, © 1997, 426 pages. (See also The Divine Conspiracy Study Guide, 125 pages, and “Dallas Willard” archives by Bill Gaultiere.)
- Streams of Living Water: Celebrating the Great Traditions of Christian Faith by Richard Foster, © 1998, 424 pages.
- The Great Omission: Reclaiming Jesus’ Essential Teachings on Discipleship by Dallas Willard, © 2006, 237 pages. (See also “The Great Omission: Introduction and Quotes” by Bill Gaultiere, 13 pages.)
- Your Best Life In Jesus’ Easy Yoke: Rhythms of Grace to De-Stress and Live Empowered, by Bill Gaultiere, © 2016, 210 pages.)
Spiritual and Psychological Development (Week 2)
- Hind’s Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard, © 1977, 254 pages.
- The Critical Journey: Stages in the Life of Faith by Janet O. Hagberg and Robert A. Guelich, © 1989, 162 pages.*
- Changes that Heal: How to Understand Your Past to Ensure a Healthier Future by Henry Cloud, © 1990, 267 pages.
- The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming by Henri Nouwen, © 1992, 151 pages.
- Invitation to a Journey: A Road Map for Spiritual Formation by Robert Mulholland, © 1993, 173 pages.
- The Inner Voice of Love: A Journey Through Anguish to Freedom by Henri Nouwen, © 1996, 118 pages. (See also “Henri Nouwen’s Secret Journal” by Bill Gaultiere, 12 pages.)
- Worship, Community, and the Triune God of Grace by James B. Torrance, © 1996, 130 pages.
- Spiritual Autobiography: Discovering and Sharing Your Spiritual Story by Richard Peace, © 1998, 112 pages.
- Attachments: Why You Love, Feel and Act the Way You Do by Tim Clinton and Gary Sibcy, © 2002, 303 pages. (See also “Secure and Insecure Attachment Styles” by Bill Gaultiere, 7 pages.)
- How We Love: Discover Your Love Style, Enhance Your Marriage by Milan and Kay Yerkovich, © 2006, 401 pages.
- Mansions of the Heart: Exploring the Seven Stages of Spiritual Growth by R. Thomas Ashbrook, © 2009, 282 pages.
- Knowing Christ Today: Why We Can Trust Spiritual Knowledge by Dallas Willard, © 2009, 241 pages. (See also “Knowing Christ Today: A Soul Shepherding Bible Study” by Bill Gaultiere, 8 pages.)
- Unforsaken: With Jesus on the Stations of the Cross by Bill Gaultiere, © 2016, 68 pages.
- Life Without Lack: Living in the Fullness of Psalm 23 by Dallas Willard, © 2018, 234 pages. (See also “Life Without Lack: Dallas Willard’s Psalm 23 Prayer“ and “Life Without Lack: A Prayer by Dallas Willard“, 2 page devotionals by Bill Gaultiere.)
Soul Care Ministry (Week 3)
- Creative Ministry by Henri Nouwen, © 1971, 125 pages.
- The Contemplative Pastor: Returning to the Art of Spiritual Direction by Eugene Peterson, © 1989, 171 pages.
- Spiritual Warfare For Every Christian: How to Live in Victory and Retake the Land by Dean Sherman (YWAM), © 1990, 210.
- Hiding From Love: How to Change the Withdrawal Patterns That Isolate and Imprison You by John Townsend, © 1991, 288 pages.
- Restoring the Christian Soul: Overcoming the Three Great Barriers to Personal and Spiritual Completion in Christ by Leanne Payne, © 1991, 249 pages.
- Spiritual Mentoring: A Guide for Seeking and Giving Direction by Keith R. Anderson and Randy D. Reese, © 1999, 191 pages.
- Renovation of the Heart: Putting on the Character of Christ by Dallas Willard, © 2002, 269 pages. (See also the “Transformation” archive by Bill Gaultiere.)
- Experiencing Healing Prayer: How God Turns Our Hurts Into Wholeness by Rick Richardson, © 2005, 248 pages.
- Anatomy of the Soul by Curt Thompson, © 2010, 210 pages.
- Emotionally Healthy Spirituality by Peter Scazzero, © 2011, 240 pages.
- I Quit! Stop Pretending Everything is Fine and Change Your Life By Geri and Peter Scazzero, © 2010, 215 pages.
- Jesus’ Greatest Teaching: Living the Sermon on the Mount by Bill Gaultiere, © 2016, 42 pages.
Spiritual Leadership (Week 4)
- Spiritual Leadership: Principles of Excellence For Every Believer by J. Oswald Sanders, © 1967, 208 pages. (See also “Spiritual Leadership (Bible Study)” by Bill Gaultiere, 13 pages.)
- The Wounded Healer by Henri Nouwen, © 1972, 109 pages. (See also “The Wounded Healer as a Spiritual Guide” (Henri Nouwen)” by Bill Gaultiere.)
- Hearing God: Developing a Conversational Relationship with God by Dallas Willard, © 1984, 228 pages. (See also “Bible Study and Quotes on Hearing God by Dallas Willard” by Bill Gaultiere, 17 pages.)
- Working the Angles: The Shape of Pastoral Integrity by Eugene Peterson, © 1987, 192 pages.
- The Making of a Leader: Recognizing the Lessons and Stages of Leadership Development by J. Robert Clinton, © 2012 (originally 1988), 286 pages.
- In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership by Henri Nouwen, © 1989, 81 pages.
- The Joy of Following Jesus by J. Oswald Sanders, © 1990, 156 pages. (See also “The Disciple’s Ambition to Please Christ” by Bill Gaultiere.)
- Under the Unpredictable Plant: An Exploration in Vocational Holiness by Eugene Peterson, © 1992, 197 pages.
- Jesus, CEO: Using Ancient Wisdom for Visionary Leadership by Laurie Beth Jones, © 1995, 316 pages.
- The Call to Lead by Bill Hybels (When Discipleship and Leadership Collide), Dan B. Allender (Leading Character), and John Ortberg (Overcoming Your Shadow Mission), © 2007 & 2008, 137 pages.
- The Five Most Important Questions by Peter F. Drucker, © 2008, 119 pages.
- Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership: Seeking God in the Crucible of Ministry by Ruth Haley Barton, © 2008, 228 pages.
- Leadership Beyond Reason: How Great Leaders Succeed by Harnessing the Power of Their Values, Feelings, and Intuition by John Townsend, © 2009, 177 pages.
- A Spirituality of Fundraising by Henri Nouwen, © 2010, 64 pages.
- The Shaping of an Effective Leader by Gayle D. Beebe, © 2011, 208 pages.
- Pursuing God’s Will Together: A Discernment Practice for Leadership Groups by Ruth Haley Barton, © 2012, 253 pages.
- DNA of a Revolution: 1st Century Breakthroughs That Will Transform the Church by Gary Mayes, © 2013, 221 pages.
- The Allure of Gentleness: Defending the Faith in the Manner of Jesus by Dallas Willard, © 2015, 191 pages.
Spiritual Direction Training
- Spiritual Direction & Meditation by Thomas Merton © 1960, 108 pages.
- Praying the Psalms: Engaging Scripture and the Life of the Spirit by Walter Brueggemann © 1980 / 2007, 97 pages.*
- The Practice of Spiritual Direction by William A. Barry and William J. Connolly, © 1982, 211 pages.*
- Writings on Spiritual Direction by Great Christian Masters edited by Jerome Neufelder and Mary Coelho, © 1982, 205 pages.
- Soul Friend: An Invitation to Spiritual Direction by Kenneth Leech © 1992, 250 pages.*
- Holy Listening: The Art of Spiritual Direction by Margaret Guenther © 1992, 145 pages.*
- Care of Mind / Care of Spirit: A Psychiatrist Explores Spiritual Direction by Gerald May © 1992, 232 pages.
- Soul Keeping: Ancient Paths of Spiritual Direction by Howard Baker, © 1998 159 pages.
- When the Soul Listens: Finding Rest and Direction in Contemplative Prayer by Jan Johnson © 1999, 189 pages.
- The Friend of the Bridegroom: Spiritual Direction and the Encounter With Christ by Thomas H. Green © 2000, 128 pages.*
- Sacred Companions: The Gift of Spiritual Friendship & Direction by David Benner, © 2002, 240 pages.*
- Spiritual Direction and the Care of Souls: A Guide to Christian Approaches and Practices by Gary W. Moon and David G. Benner © 2004, 254 pages.*
- Spiritual Direction by Henri Nouwen © 2006, 172 pages.
- Seeking God Together: An Introduction to Group Spiritual Direction by Alice Fryling © 2009, 152 pages.*
- The Listening Life by Adam S. McHugh © 2015, 215 pages.*
* These books have chapters assigned for reading in preparation for the online classes in Soul Shepherding’s program for Spiritual Direction Training and Certification.