Are you happy with your relationship with your spouse or significant other? Do you know your relationship strengths and weaknesses? With this free 35 item Relationship Satisfaction Test we developed you can assess the health of your relationship. We’ve used this in counseling married and engaged couples.
Our Relationship Satisfaction Test will assess your relationship in seven vital areas: Stress Points, Communication, Conflict Resolution, Relational Intimacy, Emotional Reactivity, Boundaries, and Relationship with God.
These questions will help you to clarify how you’re doing and what areas you and your partner need to work on in order to improve your relationship.
Relationship Satisfaction Test
For each question in the Relationship Satisfaction Test circle the number of any question that you answer yes to.
1. I’m not pleased with our roles in handling responsibilities at work and home.
2. We often disagree on how to deal with our kids and/or families.
3. We don’t agree on how to handle our money.
4. I’m not satisfied with our spiritual life together.
5. I’m not satisfied with our sex life or expression of affection.
6. My partner says things that put me down.
7. I often hold back my true feelings from my partner.
8. I often don’t feel listened to by my partner.
9. Sometimes my partner gives me the silent treatment.
10. I’m afraid to ask my partner for what I want.
11. I go out of my way to avoid conflicts with my partner.
12. I give in just to end an argument.
13. When we argue I often end up feeling the problem is my fault.
14. Our conflicts usually don’t get fully resolved.
15. I’m afraid to be honest and hurt my partner’s feelings.
16. We don’t spend enough time as just the two of us.
17. I don’t feel very close to my partner.
18. There aren’t many fun activities that we enjoy together.
19. Sometimes I don’t enjoy my partner’s company.
20. I don’t like my partner’s personality.
21. My partner loses his/her temper at me often.
22. I lose my temper at my partner often.
23. Sometimes we have major conflicts over minor issues.
24. I’m afraid of my partner’s anger.
25. My partner is too emotional.
26. It’s hard for me to say no to my partner.
27. Sometimes I feel mistreated by my partner.
28. I don’t get enough space in our relationship.
29. Sometimes I feel controlled by my partner.
30. It’s hard for me to be happy if my partner is upset.
31. I wish my partner wanted to pray with me more often.
32. I’m uncomfortable with some of my partner’s views on God.
33. I feel inhibited to talk with my partner about my relationship with God.
34. I think we should spend more time reading the Bible together.
35. My partner and I don’t agree about church.
Total up your yes answers for each of these six relationship categories and talk with your partner about your responses. Two or more yes answers in a category is a red flag and suggests that your relationship needs help in that area. If the two of you can’t work through any points of hurt or conflict then you’d be wise to talk with a marriage counselor.
Category Questions Score
Stress Points 1-5
Conflict Resolution 11-15
Relational Intimacy 16-20
Emotional Reactivity 21-25
Relationship with God 31-35
For help in your marriage or dating relationship read, “What You Can do to Improve Your Marriage” and talk with a counselor.